On 10/16/2011 05:26 PM, Alberto Alcalá Alvarez wrote:
hello, I'm trying to get the following done, using the xymatrix command: I have a diagram with a >>--->> arrow going down, but the tail of the arrow, >>, gets overlapped with the name of the origin of the arrow, so my question is if there is a way to save some space between the name of the origin and de tail of the arrow, or if I could rescale the shaft of the arrow in order to make it shorter. thanks a lot!

Is this a standard commutative diagram? If it lies within the realm of the CD macros from the AMS (amscd), I would use them. CD is limited to rectangular arrays of objects, and non-diagonal arrows, but beyond that you get real AMS-LaTeX arrows and spacing that should prevent that kind of thing. The arrows on the xymatrix help file I found are cheesy. They look to be formed from several characters, like we used to do when we actually typed this stuff. The tail of your arrow is probably of that sort (literally >>), and it is not correctly accounted for in determining the spacing.

J. S. Milne has a nice guide to CD-type packages which might help.

http://www.jmilne.org/not/CDGuide.html

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
conclusion.
                -- George Bernard Shaw