On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 08:10:48 PM L Duperval wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions abut creating a book so here goes:
>
> - Whenever I create a new document to be included (I am currently
> splitting what I've already written into smaller parts), i have to
> reconfigure the document settings. Which means, if I'm not
> mistaken, that if I change things after the fact, I will have to
> modify each child document. Am I correct?
>
> - Along those same lines: how can I create new documents that use
> the same settings as my main document, without changing the LyX
> defaults?
>
> - When I change my font, the output looks like gibberish. Why is
> that?

This isn't responsive to your question, but I've had great success
keeping my whole 108K word document in a single file. I see an awful
lot of questions on the LyX list concerning how to get child docs to
work, and am always glad I don't need to worry about that stuff -- my
docs just work.

If your document is 300K words, yeah, you'll probably need to split it
unless you have very fast multiple cores and 8GB of RAM, but in my
opinion child documents are just premature optimization on anything
smaller.

Unless, of course, different authors are doing different chapters, in
which case child documents are necessary.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/key_excellence.htm