On 2011-12-06, Rob Oakes wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Richard Heck wrote:

>> I wonder if we'd be better just outputting footnotes as endnotes
>> all the time. The inline version we now use is cool, but maybe it's too
>> cool for it's own good.

> I actually think that would be a really good thing. It makes everything
> much easier to work with. (Or at least, that's what I think.)

IMV, we should make the placement of footnotes in HTML configurable.

Sensible options include

a) inline (as "tooltip" via CSS :mouseover:)
b) in the footer for page-based output (e.g. print from HTML or ePub)
c) endnotes (before/after other concluding sections and listings?)
d) per chapter/section/subsection
e) author-specified position via an inset

A simple interface would be a "footnotes-inset" that triggers the output
of all footnotes with footnote-references between the start of the
document or the last "footnotes-inset" and its position.

It can be used for all options above if set by the document author
accordingly:
a) no "footnotes-inset"
b) no "footnotes-inset" and CSS rules for page-based media
c) one "footnote-inset" at the position the endnotes shall appear
   (similar to the toc and bibtex-references buttons).
   This could also be used for LaTeX output together with foot-to-end.
d) one "footnote-inset" at the end of each chapter/section/subsection ...
e) "footnote-inset" whereever the footnotes shall appear (below a list,
   paragraph, table, ...

To accomodate e) and common behaviour in minipages and floats, the
idea of "all footnotes ... between ..." could be augmented with "scopes" -
a footnote-inset inside a minipage or float would only apply to footnotes
defined in the same object.

If there is user-request, the default case (no footnote-insets) could be
made configurable (inline vs. end vs. section-level) but I don't know if the
complication is needed, as in most cases the actual placement of the
endnotes requires author control anyway.

>> That suggests the idea of "collecting" the footnotes along the way in
>> some kind of structure, and then emptying it when it comes time to
>> print them, which could then be at any time.

Yes.

>> Second, I've been thinking recently about introducing some sort of
>> chapter splitting capability. Not so important for e-books probably, but
>> useful for the good old web.

> And very useful for eBooks as well. Due to the way that ePub works, at
> least, smaller HTML files load faster.

Actually, it should be an option not only for chapter splitting but also for
other sectioning level.

Again, one yould argue that mapping a parent/children document set on a one
output file per input file basis is sufficient.

Thanks for your work,

Günter