Thanks to Yihui and Bela for responses to my question...Yihui's example
pointed me toward a simple solution...I should have responded to the list
to get the solution out there, but only responded to Yihui...This was my
response:

"Aha!  I see the trick now!  You have the xtable Swaeve chunk in an ERT box
within the float.  I had the chunk in the float alone...it worked fine with
the caption below, but when I put the chunk below the caption, it printed
as tex...now in an ERT box it works fine!  Thank you again, Yihui."

--
Shane