On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Horst Jurkat <horstjur...@onlinehome.de> wrote:
> Am 16.01.2012 15:11, schrieb stefano franchi:
>
>> Horst,
>>
>> I have no clue about your printing issues, but there is an Arial clone
>> available in Latex.
>>
>> Check out this link:
>>
>> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/arial/
>>

>> Also, what do you mean by "printing under Firefox"?
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Stefano
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Horst Jurkat<horstjur...@onlinehome.de>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> my problem that I cannot solve after x "google" searches:
>>>
>>> I use lyx 2.02 under ubuntu 11.10. In my office I have to use the font
>>> arial. Because this font is not to choose in the standard settings I have
>>> choose hevetica. But when I print the document the text is bad (light);
>>> only
>>> when I print it out in pdf-format (with foxitreader) it looks fine.
>>>
>>> Therefore I tried to find a way to use arial.ttf. I installed the newer
>>> texlive version 2011 (full, with xetex and luatex) and found that there
>>> are
>>> many fonts (incl. arial.ttf) under /usr/share/fonts/... But after that
>>> Lyx
>>> does not show more fonts which can be checked under the document
>>> settings.
>>> When I check the box "Non-Tex-Fonts use (via XeTex/LuaTex)" I can choose
>>> many more fonts, also arial, but when I print the document Lyx give me a
>>> document with many other layouts
>>> than checked (the standard text format for new documents) and also with a
>>> bad light character.
>>>
>>> Has anyone an idea what to do or change to be able to use other ttf-fonts
>>> or
>>> to print in a acceptable way (like under firefox)?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>> Horst
>>>

> Stefano,
>
> excuse me: I mean "printing under Foxitreader".
>
> I have installed the package (arial clone), but after "texhash" und
> reconfigure under Lyx I find no changes.

The Arial clone comes in a package. You must follow the instruction
provide in the link I sent you:

Go to Document>>Setting»Latex Preamble
and type (or cut and paste the following)

\usepackage[scaled]{uarial}
\renewcommand*\familydefault{\sfdefault} %% Only if the base font of
the document is to be sans serif
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

The last instruction may not be necessary.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA