On 03. jan. 2012 16:13, Richard Heck wrote:
On 01/03/2012 10:06 AM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
Adam Sacarny wrote:
I am editing a document in LyX (Mac OS X Lion, LyX 2.0.2) that is
stored locally but references several files -- included TeX snippets
and some graphics stored as EPS -- that I keep on a remote server.
The files are on a drive that I mounted through sshfs using the
latest version of OSXFUSE and the program Macfusion.

The trouble is, whenever the drive is mounted, LyX slows down a ton.
On slow connections it's completely unusable. LyX lags whenever I
type, and I notice that at the same time, network traffic spikes.
(Note that all of the included files have preview turned off.)

I'm not really a programmer, but it seems like every time I hit a
key, LyX checks the included files to see if they've been updated.
But I don't really know!
yes lyx checks for updates of the included material like .eps files
and there is no gui way how to disable it.
Do we need a way to disable this? Should be fairly easy.

How about: No filesystem operations (they might be very slow) while the
user is typing/navigating/using keyboard/mouse.

I don't know why LyX do such checks during typing - was it
convenient to hang the check off the keyboard processing?

A simple fix might be to have a timeout and only do these
checks some time after the user stopped typing.

A better fix would be to not poll for changes. In linux,
you can have the OS tell you that a file changed. So you just tell
the os to notify, whenever something happens to a graphic. No polling at all, nothing special taking place during the user's typing.

I don't know if this can be done on windows or macintosh though. If not,
use a timer instead of performing checks during keyboard processing. Ideally, do the checking in a low-priority background thread so it won't impact typing activity at all.

Helge Hafting