On 05/02/2012 17:48, Rob Oakes wrote:
  My current script is about 50 lines long, and can be used with either native
XHTML or eLyXer. To add new features, you add additional cases describing how
to translate the XHTML.

Which brings us to an important point: there's already a pretty good LyX ->  XHTML
->  LibreOffice ->  Word pathway for translating documents. Unless I directly
implement Word as another backend (which, while a lot of work, isn't difficult), I'm not
sure there's much reason for a direct MS Word export. The real need seems to be for an
MS Word import, anyway.

The native MSWord backend would be very interesting to have and useful and much better than anything you could produce with your python script. But I agree with you that the docx import looks more useful. And if the thing can be extended to pptx, it will be even more useful :-)

Cheers,
Abdel.