Eric Weir wrote:
> In formatting a document using koma-script article class, when I apply the
> bibliography environment LyX inserts "References" followed by this on the
> line below: "key-1 [1]". What is this? What function does it serve? Not
> knowing anything it strikes me as irrelevant to my purposes.

This is the label which marks the bibliography item. You'll need it in order
to refer to an entry. Look at sec 6.5.1 of the User Guide.

> Also, when I compile to pdf I get a single line stranded at the bottom the
> page. I didn't think this could happen in latex. How do I remedy it?

You can (mostly) avoid such things ("orphans") by changing LaTeX's penalty
values. I have good experiences with

\tolerance 1414
\hbadness 1414
\emergencystretch 1.5em
\hfuzz 0.3pt
\widowpenalty = 10000
\vfuzz \hfuzz
\raggedbottom

However, sometimes orphans and widows are generated anyway (because LaTeX
thinks it is still the best solution).

Jürgen