Thanks for the tip, Scott.
I managed to get the lyx 2.0.3 working but I'm still getting that error
Package keyval Error: hash undefined.
Also, after I revert back to bibtex8 (by changing to backend=bibtex8 in the
preamble and changing to Bibliography generator bibtex8 in Document setting) lyx
won't process the bibliography. It doesnt give an error, it simply runs through
and then gives a document without ref. list with the refs. in bibtex code
format.
To fix it I have to delete the \bibliography{} line in the preamble and then put
it back.

Any ideas why that it happening?

The other problem I have that my references under bibtex8 look wrong.
my preamble line is:
\usepackage[style=authoryear,natbib=true,backend=bibtex8]{biblatex}

but the document output looks like this
...make up as much as 44% of the land surface Verstraete and Schwartz(1991)

instead of
...make up as much as 44% of the land surface (Verstraete and Schwartz 1991)
as I would expect and as is shown in:
http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex#using-biber

Any suggestions will be more than welcome
Roey