Suzi Rees <queen4ever.suzi <at> gmail.com> writes:

> When I click the little eyes or use View menu I get a message at the bottom of
the tab saying "Successful preview of fromat: pdf2" but nothing else happens.
It seems to create a file in My Documents but I can't open that file.

View > PDF should not create any files in My Documents (but Export > PDF would).
 The view function creates a file in a temporary directory.  If you look at
Tools > Preferences > Paths > Temporary directory, that will point you in the
correct direction; the actual buffer directory will be nested a couple of levels
below what you see there.  The PDF file should be in the buffer directory.

While you're at it, go to Tools > Preferences > File Handling > File Formats,
select "PDF (pdflatex)" in the Format drop-down, and have a look at the Viewer
field.  That should indicate the program to be used for viewing PDFs, usually
Acrobat Reader (acroread.exe) on Windows systems.  If not, try setting it.  You
should also make sure that either your PDF reader (Acrobat or whatever) is on
your system command path, or else that the path to it shows up in Tools >
Preferences > Paths > PATH prefix.  It's possible that LyX is successfully
generating a PDF file in the temp directory (thus the status message you saw)
but failing to find a program with which to display it.

Paul