On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> I can't help you with your LyX questions because I know little about
> the LyX authoring environment, but I can give you one tip that's helped
> me a heck of a lot.
>
> When presenting, I use one of those wireless optical mice they sell for
> between $10 and $20. I make sure the mouse is:
>
> 1) 1000dpi and
> 2) Can be used up to 30 meters away.
> 3) Has a scroll wheel between the left and right mouse buttons

I was also hesitating to take a high-resolution mouse, but I think
I'll go for a laser pointer. I'm only a bit lost on which brand and
model to buy. Anyone care to share their experience?

> Then I can use the mouse normally while I'm at the computer, but can
> walk around the audience using the left and right mouse button to
> advance or go back a slide (I use Evince with a PDF presentation, so
> this works). Also, I can use the scroll wheel to quickly advance or go
> backward.

Personally I use Impressive [1][2] (instead of Evince or any other PDF
reader) to display my LyX-created Beamer PDFs. Impressive is, well,
impressive. Other than benefiting from left/right mouse clicks to go
to next/prev slide, you get many additional features: Page
transitions, Overview screen, Highlight boxes, Spotlight effect,
zooming, a time tracker, etc. (To some these would be useless
eye-candy, to others genuinely useful features. It may well depend on
the specific presentation, audience and setting.)

There is also an open ticket [3] that, when fixed (patch available),
would improve the process: LyX -> Beamer -> Impressive.

Regards
Liviu

[1] http://impressive.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Presentations#toc4