stefano franchi <stefano.franchi <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Peter Coles <coleszilla <at> gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Richard Heck <rgheck <at> comcast.net> writes:
> > Thank you. Could you shed some light on where I should be making these
edits?
> > Am I to insert \renewenvironment{thebibliography}[1]{....} as ERT somewhere
in
> > the main .lyx document? Or is there some other file I need to edit?  I'm
using
> > LyX for Windows.
> >

> Peter,
>
> you should copy the whole block of code and paste it into your
> preamble (Document>>Settings>>Latex Preamble)
>
> Then, change the first line to read
>
> \renewenvironment{thebibliography}[1]
>
> ("renew" instead of "new")
>
> Now you are ready to play with the parameters as Richard suggested.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stefano

Stefano, Richard thanks.  After some toying, the following worked:

1) I added to the preamble the full block Richard described, replacing the
<at>'s with at symbols (this replacement was probably obvious to everyone
except
me.) I also changed the first line as you suggested.

2) I added   \setlength\itemindent{-.5in} to the block, and changed
\leftmargin\labelwidth to \setlength\leftmargin{.5in}

The bibliography style I am using, aea.bst, seems to use empty labels rather
than, for example, numbers to enumerate bibliography items. Hence, rather than
playing with the labelwidth, which had no effect for me, I indented by a
negative amount and then shoved the whole list back to the right the same
amount.

A pain, but it's done!  Thanks, all.