Richard,

I use Kile on a regular basis, but I never experienced that. Or
rather, every once in a while I experience a general X-related
lockdown---CPU at 100%, no graphic interaction possible, no switching
to virtual terminal allowed either (presumably because X steals all
keyboard input). My only way out is ssh-ing from another computer and
restarting the whole box.
I wonder if it is related, though. Are you using nvidia proprietary
drivers? The consensus on the archlinux boards seems to point at them.

Cheers,

Stefano

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I thought it would be worth mentioning that I've just seen, twice, a kind of
> slowness in Kile (which is a KDE and therefore Qt-based LaTeX editor) very
> similar to what has been reported here, now and again, as a slowness in LyX.
> All of a sudden, and for reasons I don't understand, Kile ground to a near
> halt, with top showing XOrg consuming 100% or more CPU. (Fortunately, there
> are four processors!) Closing it and restarting it solved the problem.
>
> Richard

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org