On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@princeton.edu> wrote:
> [...]

Well said. In general, it's  s good idea to run

$source .profile

or

$source .bashrc

etc., whenever you modify one of those environment-altering files.
That way you can test your changes immediately without having to
restart the terminal or rebooting the machine. Other things may happen
when you do that, and I'd like to keep variables to a minimum when
setting things up. After a while it becomes a habit, like running
mktexlsr after manually installing a tex package.

Cheers,

Stefano

> Scott

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org