Justin Wood <upasaka <at> gmail.com> writes:

> At the moment I'm using:
>  \renewcommand{\figureautorefname}{Figure~\negthinspace}
>
> I've tried replacing '~' with a simple space, with '\,' and '\ ' but it still
> doesn't break between 'Figure' and the ref label. Shouldn't that be possible?

Ahh, found the source of the problem. The thesis template includes
\AtBeginDocument{\renewcommand{\ref}[1]{\mbox{\autoref{#1}}}}

And \mbox prevents line breaks within the reference itself. Removing that
resolves the problem, and even hyphenates 'Figure'. Of course it was no doubt
added for good reason so I'll have to see what other consequences there are...