Hello Peter and Marcelo,

Thank you very much for your advice! Peter, I tried using parboxes, and I
think one could make it work, but as you say, text alignment remains an
issue. Marcelo, your idea is perfect, except for the fact that the
environment is shared by the whole line. I can work around that by manually
changing the text style, though.

Thanks again.

Stephane

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Marcelo Acuña <mv...@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> >I am trying to rewrite my resume in LyX. I attached my old resume which I
> made with Google docs.
>  >
> >However I didn't find any way to have two columns where one can easily
> write some arbitrary text in one column on >the same height as some text in
> the other column. I did this for achievements and dates in my old resume;
> you can see >that each date is vertically aligned with the corresponding
> achievement.
>
> It's seems to me that you can easily make this with Insert > Formatting >
> Horizontal Space > Horizontal Fill
>
> Bachelor of Science: Honours Mathematics & Computer Science <-- Horizontal
> Fill --> 2006 - 2010
> Item 1
> Item 2
> Item 3 <--- Horizontal fill -->  2003
>
> Marcelo

Hello Stephane,

> However I didn't find any way to have two columns where one can easily
> write some arbitrary text in one column on the same height as some text in
> the other column. I did this for achievements and dates in my old resume;
> you can see that each date is vertically aligned with the corresponding
> achievement.
[...snip...]
>    - I tried using a table, as I did in Google docs. However, it doesn't
>    seem possible (why not?) to put arbitrary environments in them (I tried
>    putting boxes (minipages) into tables, but, apart from being
cumbersome, it
>    doesn't keep the spacing before the first line in the box).

1.- try to use longtable, instead of table. That should allow your table
    to flow over page breaks (longtable tab in the table settings dialog).
2.- use parbox instead of minipage, that will work with tables. BTW,
    when you set a fixed width for a column in a table, it will behave
    as if you had a parbox within the cell. Well, there still can be
    problems with text alignment, but it's worth to give it a try.
3.- final option is to take a look at how moderncv mackage is written.
    It uses tables as well, just it hides the tabular stuff in macros
    which allow you to enter the stuff in a better way. The only thing
    is that moderncv puts the dates to the left hand side column,
    instead of the right hand one.

Perhaps this helps a bit.

Best,

Peter.