On 21 Jun 2012, Les Denham wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 21:12:22 +0200
> Påvel Nicklasson <pavel223...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My wishlist includes an Adobe Distiller type of program for Linux and
> > that more printing houses would learn about LaTeX/LyX and offer
> > support and advice.
>
> Påvel,
>
> One of my problems has been that most printing companies insist on "if
> providing a PDF it must be distilled using Adobe" for PDF files. That's
> a quote from Lulu.com, and while they do accept other PDF files for
> private printing, if you want it published by them you have to comply.
> Other publishers have similar wording.
>
> I have heard that Lulu.com will accept a PostScript file, though they
> do not say so on their website.

[snip]

I have published six books on Lulu. They were submitted as postsrcipt
files and that caused no problems. As an experiment I also submitted
one as a pdf prepared with Lyx and that worked too. The one difficulty
that arose was with one of the books which contained a lot of coloured
plates; I couldn't get these to work with the resolution that Lulu was
demanding. They started refusing to accept the book for widespread
distribution but in fact it is available and selling on Amazon and as an
ebook.

Admittedly I haven't put a new book on Lulu for about a year and things
may have changed, but I'd say it is still worth trying either a
postscript file or a pdf prepared with Lyx. I think the acceptance
question may relate to whether the fonts are correctly embedded or not.

For two of my books, which I distribute myself as well as having them on
Amazon etc., I have them printed myself by Antony Rowe; cheaper than
Lulu and no difficulty with my pdfs. And you can reach them by phone - a
big plus.

Incidentally, Lulu are printers, not publishers.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.reviewbooks.org.uk