On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:45:21 +1000 "Charlie aries...@skymesh.com.au"
 suggested this:

>Using Debian Wheezy
>
>and suddenly when converting to a pdf document, I get what I think is a
>Gimp application window that says something about "Import from pdf".

Further to this, when LyX is called up in a terminal, and try to
convert to a .pdf - I get this:

Running: pdflatex  "percival.tex" > /dev/null
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./percival.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
nohyphenation, lo aded.

Running: pdflatex  "percival.tex" > /dev/null
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./percival.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
nohyphenation, lo aded.

Running: xdg-open "percival.pdf"

Not certain what that means?

TIA
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

This is the art of courage: to see things as they are and still believe
that the victory lies not with those who avoid the bad, but those who
taste, in living awareness, every drop of the good. --- Victoria Lincoln