On Sat, 11 Aug 2012, Ray Rashif wrote:

Rich, long tables are documented thoroughly. Please have a read of the
internal documentation (embeddedObjects in particular) [1], else search
Google. However, you can skip the LyX wiki page on long tables as it is
outdated.

Ray,

  I read the description of the longtable package in Herbert Voss's book and
looked at the users guide section, too. Will read te embedded objects
section.

Long tables are just static tables with manually-added float features,
such as a caption. You create your table, and then when you're done,
create a new row on the top or bottom and then make that row a caption
(Caption: On; right-click in any column).

  OK. I suspected this to be the case as the column headers became the
caption when I invoked that option.

  As I've not before needed this package I appreciate all the provided
guidance.

Thanks,

Rich