On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:54:34 -0800
Jane Shevtsov <jane....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Steve Litt
> <sl...@troubleshooters.com>wrote:

> > Cool!
> >
> > This is going to be easier than I thought.
> >
> > Now, keep in mind this one says exercise 1, exercise2, and the MWE
> > had Problem 1, problem 2, etc. So for this email I'll use Exercise,
> > and assume you have made an environment called Exercise that works
> > on a counter called exercise_counter. Make the environment so it
> > increments the counter. Now, for every containing environment,
> > whether it be Section and Section*, or Mysection and Lab, make sure
> > that containing environment resets the counter back to 1 (or 0 if
> > your environment pre-increments). That's it, you're done.
> >

> I'm afraid you're overestimating my LaTeX knowledge. (It's close to
> zero.) I didn't make the Exercise environment (it's from the
> "Theorems (AMS)" module) and have no idea how to do so. A bit more
> guidance would be very welcome.

I figured that. That's why I estimated it would take you a day instead
of three hours like it would take me, or ten minutes like it would take
a lot of the LaTeX gurus on the list.

A passing knowledge of LaTeX is very, very, VERY helpful in making you a
confident LyX user. A little LaTeX knowledge enables you to escape from
dead ends that otherwise might trap you.

My two proudest moments in LaTeX, and keep in mind that each of these
kept me busy for over a day, were:

1) Changing Section, Subsection, and SubSubSection to display lines
that are, thick, medium and light, respectively. I did this for a
decidedly non-Geek book where numbers wouldn't be appreciated.

2) I made LaTeX so I could put a non-printing command specifying a date
in the text, and the header on that page and every succeeding page
would display that date, until another command changed the date. I did
this in a business novel covering several years, in which it might have
been possible to get confused about when the present was.

In both cases, the people on the LyX list helped me with those things I
couldn't figure out how to do. In both cases, I was darned glad I knew
a little LaTeX, because it enabled me to make my book look *exactly*
how I wanted to look, instead of settling for the look of the nearest
package I could find.

HTH

SteveT