In case it is helpful to anyone, I am posting below a recent
conversation working out some issues with an installation of the
SageTeX module previously discussed on this thread:

Dear mr McCoffee,

I was very excited when I discovered your module for integrating Sage
with LyX. But I'm afraid I need a little bit more help to make it
work.

I managed to setup the one-step conversion in LyX, however, when I
apply it to your file example.lyx all sage-blocks display as double
questionmarks in the .pdf file. Can you point me to a more detailed
tutorial on how to use this LyX module?

Here is what I did:

    downloaded example.lyx, setup.sh, compile-pdf-sage.sh, sage.module
and preferences to the desktop
    edited setup.sh to reflect non-standard paths on my system
(~/.lyx2 and /opt/sage-5.2)
    ran setup.sh (sudo bash setup.sh)

I checked that compile-pdf-sage.sh is copied to the sage directory,
the preferences file to ~/lyx2 and sage.module to the layouts folder
in ~/lyx2.

I also copied sagetex.sty to /home/dd/texmf, my user texmf folder.

I noticed the following error in the console from which I started LyX2:

insets/InsetLayout.cpp (191): Flex insets must have names of the form
`Flex:<name>'.
This one has the name `sagecommand'

I hope you can help me out,
yours sincerely

Dirk Danckaert

Hi Dirk,

I'm currently running LyX 2.0.0 with Sage 4.8 on Ubuntu 11.10. Since
my Sage version is old (for complicated reasons), it's possible
something has changed in SageTeX, but let's try some other things
before I install another Sage.

I get the same message you do about the insets, along with some other
LyX complaints, and they are not causing me problems (yet), so that
may not be something to worry about.

Since you're on Ubuntu, one possible source of trouble (which happened
to me when I changed machines) is that, if you're using TeXLive, the
potentially mis-matched version of SageTeX that it includes can stick
around and pre-empt the correct one (even if you've followed the
instructions --- http://www.sagemath.org/doc/installation/sagetex.html
--- to install the one from your Sage distribution into LaTeX. Try
making sure it's gone by doing something like

sudo rm -r /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/sagetex
sudo texhash

- Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I have corrected at least one error while checking things out again.
Seems the copying of sagetex.sty had not been done as it should.
However, still no joy. I did the two sudo-commands, with no
error-messages. I loaded example.lyx and tried a .pdf-export (I chose
/File/Export/PDF (pdflatex+sagetex). As a result I got the error
message

An error occurred while running:

compile-pdf-sage.sh "example.sagetex.sage"

I tried to make sense of that but I couldn't:

    compile-pdf-sage.sh must be located in the SAGE-directory, isn't it?
    So how does it find the .sagetex.sage-file?

I tried to locate example.sagetex.sage (I thought this is an
intermediate file produced by LyX) in the directory that contained
example.lyx (a folder on my desktop) but it wasn't there.

Is there perhaps a simpler test that I could perform, e.g. just
calculate 1+1 in LyX?

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

In order to figure out what's going on, please try running LyX from a
terminal window and running the export again --- then the error
messages from the call to compile-pdf-sage.sh will be visible in the
terminal.

I believe you edited the setup.sh script included with the module to
point to your Sage installation at /opt/sage-5.2. The script normally
puts compile-pdf-sage.sh in this same directory and adds that
directory to the execution path. However, it doesn't make that change
to the execution path permanent --- when you start a new shell, it
won't be there --- so in retrospect, it's probably a better idea to
move or link compile-pdf-sage.sh to somewhere like /usr/local/bin
where it can always be found. You can always do `echo $PATH' to make
sure it's somewhere findable. (The reason I did it this way was that,
in the Sage installations I had used before, it was normally necessary
to permanently add the Sage directory to the execution path anyway, so
it didn't occur to me this would be a problem.)

In the LyX that I'm running, it does all its LaTeX file operations in
an auto-generated temporary directory with a name like
`/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.J23736/lyx_tmpbuf2' (to avoid cluttering your file
system). This is where I would expect `example.sagetex.sage' to
appear. It might be helpful to see the files it generates in this
directory to make sure things are working right --- but whenever we
make any changes, clear out the old files so we know what's new.

If you want, you can replace the Sage insets in example.lyx with a
single simpler one, but I doubt it will help much --- once we get Sage
doing its job, the whole thing should run very fast.

- Thomas

Hi Thomas,

First I have to thank you for your time and patience. But I think I'm
making progress. As you assumed, the system couldn't find
compile-pdf-sage.sh, and I learned a lesson in using the terminal.
(I'm an ex-windows user, and hence I acquired some bad habits I
guess.)

I then moved compile-pdf-sage.sh to /usr/local/bin and - on second try
- had a complaint about permissions. I then change-modded the
permissions on compile-pdf-sage.sh to 777, and this time the script
was executed.

However, now it is TeX which is complaining. This is the message on
which the script hangs (I stop it with some <Ctrl-C>'s, or just by
waiting long enough).dd@Dokux:~$ lyx2

    insets/InsetLayout.cpp (191): Flex insets must have names of the
form `Flex:<name>'.
    This one has the name `sagecommand'
    Ignoring LyXType declaration.
    LyX: Unknown InsetLayout tag [around line 2 of file  current
token: 'custom' context: '']
    LyX: Unknown InsetLayout tag [around line 12 of file  current
token: 'OptionalArgs' context: '']
    LyX: Unknown InsetLayout tag [around line 13 of file  current
token: '0' context: '']
    LyX: Unknown InsetLayout tag [around line 13 of file
/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.TJ2300/convert_layout.kn2300 current token:
'OptionalArgs' context: '']
    LyX: Unknown InsetLayout tag [around line 14 of file
/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.TJ2300/convert_layout.kn2300 current token: '0'
context: '']

    Running: pdflatex  "example.tex" > /dev/null
    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.10 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
    entering extended mode
    (./example.tex
    LaTeX2e <2009/09/24>
    Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
    yphenation, farsi, arabic, croatian, bulgarian, ukrainian,
russian, czech, slov
    ak, danish, dutch, finnish, french, basque, ngerman, german,
german-x-2009-06-1
    9, ngerman-x-2009-06-19, ibycus, monogreek, greek, ancientgreek,
hungarian, san
    skrit, italian, latin, latvian, lithuanian, mongolian2a,
mongolian, bokmal, nyn
    orsk, romanian, irish, coptic, serbian, turkish, welsh, esperanto,
uppersorbian
    , estonian, indonesian, interlingua, icelandic, kurmanji,
slovenian, polish, po
    rtuguese, spanish, galician, catalan, swedish, ukenglish, pinyin, loaded.

[...]

    (./example.sagetex.sage
    LaTeX2e <2009/09/24>
    Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
    yphenation, farsi, arabic, croatian, bulgarian, ukrainian,
russian, czech, slov
    ak, danish, dutch, finnish, french, basque, ngerman, german,
german-x-2009-06-1
    9, ngerman-x-2009-06-19, ibycus, monogreek, greek, ancientgreek,
hungarian, san
    skrit, italian, latin, latvian, lithuanian, mongolian2a,
mongolian, bokmal, nyn
    orsk, romanian, irish, coptic, serbian, turkish, welsh, esperanto,
uppersorbian
    , estonian, indonesian, interlingua, icelandic, kurmanji,
slovenian, polish, po
    rtuguese, spanish, galician, catalan, swedish, ukenglish, pinyin, loaded.
    ! You can't use `macro parameter character #' in vertical mode.
    l.1 #
         # -*- encoding: utf-8 -*-

It seems a bit strange that pdfTeX should process the file three
times. Maybe I should have left the comment lines in the script?
Here's the compile-pdf-sage.sh script that I am running:

    #!/bin/bash

    sagefile=$1
    texfile=${sagefile%.sagetex.sage}.tex

    # for one-step conversion, uncomment lines below and corresponding
line in ~/.lyx/preferences

    texfile=$1
    sagefile=${texfile%.tex}.sagetex.sage
    pdflatex $texfile

    sage $sagefile
    pdflatex $texfile

    exit 0

I found the lyx temporary directory too. I see now that TeX is trying
to tex example.sagetex.sage, which is meant to be processed by sage of
course. If you should need them I can send you the tex-logs too, or I
can try to analyse them myself if you can tell what to look for.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Yes, for now you should leave the three lines commented out in
compile-pdf-sage.sh as they were originally.

The module was designed to support two different modes of doing the
conversion: (a) a two-step mode, the default; and (b) a one-step mode.
If you uncomment the lines in compile-pdf-sage.sh, it tries to use the
one-step mode, but in order for this to work at all, you also need to
uncomment the corresponding LyX preferences line included in the
`preferences' file.

Looking at the `preferences' file, you'll see that in the two-step
mode, we tell LyX that it can convert "sagetex" to "sage" using
pdflatex, and can convert "sage" to "pdf10" using compile-pdf-sage.sh.
LyX figures out that in order to convert "sagetex" to "pdf10", it
should do both of these in order. In this mode, it will run
compile-pdf-sage.sh on a Sage file, so the original lines in
compile-pdf-sage.sh must remain commented out for this to work. The
advantage of the two-step mode is that any errors generated on the
first run of pdflatex will show up in LyX, so you can easily see if
there's a LaTeX problem in your document.

In the one-step mode, the preferences file tells LyX that to convert
"sagetex" to "pdf10", it can just use compile-pdf-sage.sh directly. So
LyX runs compile-pdf-sage.sh on a TeX file, and those lines need to be
uncommented. The compile-pdf-sage.sh script then does all three steps
itself: (1) run pdflatex on the TeX file, (2) run sage on the Sage
file, and (3) run pdflatex on the TeX file again to incorporate the
results from Sage.

Leave the original stuff commented out for now so we can use the
default two-step mode.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

It works! Works like a charm! Thank you very much: it don't think I
would have managed to get it working on my own. The possibility to
define a graph from within LyX will be very useful to me.

I see that LyX generates a .pdf, in the same directory as the .lyx
source file. That's perfectly workable, but can I set things up so
that I have the .pdf automatically opened, as when using normal LyX?

I thought the 2-step mode would require two actions from the user,
each time you wanted to process a LyX-file. I understand now that it
is only the software that does two steps. So what are the advantages
of using the one-step process?

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

That's great! I hope it's useful to you --- if you make or think of
any improvements, do let me know so we can make them available. I am
not actively using it myself at the moment, so I have not made any
updates since the initial version.

It's odd that your PDF file doesn't open automatically, which it does
for me. When I select View >> View (Other Formats) >> PDF
(pdflatex+sagetex) from the LyX menu on my system, the PDF opens
automatically in evince. The lines of the LyX preferences file
included with the module contain the following:

\Format pdf10   pdf "PDF (pdflatex+sagetex)"    g   xdg-open    ""
"document,vector,menu=export"

\viewer_alternatives pdf10 xdg-open
\viewer_alternatives pdf10 okular
\viewer_alternatives pdf10 evince
\viewer_alternatives pdf10 xpdf

The first line gives the name "pdf10" to the output format we get from
choosing that option from the View menu (LyX uses the other
"\converter" lines in file to work out a conversion path to yield that
format). The other lines above tell it what commands to try for
opening the resulting file (xdg-open just keeps track of default
applications for opening various file types, like you have probably
experienced on Windows). If for some reason you don't have any of
these PDF viewers, or your xdg-open doesn't point to any suitable
viewer, your file might not open. Otherwise, I'm not sure ... but I
think you could always hack it by adding something like the following
at the end of comple-pdf-sage.sh before the exit code:

pdffile=${texfile%.tex}.pdf
evince $pdffile

(By the way, the current shell script doesn't play nice with file
names containing spaces ... you can fix this by putting quotation
marks around anything beginning with `$'.)

I can't think of a good reason to use the one-step mode instead of the
two-step mode, but I seem to recall I kept it because it was
implemented by the person who started work on this module (Murat
Yildizoglu). It's conceivable it could be marginally faster since LyX
wouldn't pay attention to any LaTeX messages, but I doubt that's
significant. The main way to gain speed is to only run pdflatex (and
not Sage) if the Sage computations have not changed, by using the
regular pdflatex option from the View menu in LyX --- this is why the
module leaves that option as the default view method.

Until I get around to writing a better README file, would you mind if
I append the transcript of our exchange to the lyx-users thread about
the module? In case others run into any similar problems ...

Cheers,
 Thomas

Hi Thomas,

one improvement I can suggest right away: just eliminate that one-step
process. If its performance gain is indeed minimal, I see no reason to
keep it. I for one was confused as to its purpose.

The reason the PDF did not open automatically was because I used the
File >> Export menu, in stead of the View menu. When I choose View >>
etc., the PDF does open automatically. I'm a bit puzzled why the new
format 'PDF (pdflatex + sagetex)' doesn't show up under the toolbar
button 'View other formats'. I always used this toolbar in stead of
the View menu, and I just didn't think of it (I mean: the menu).

Of course you can post our exchange to the lyx-forum. I think the
combination of LyX - hands down the best text processor I ever worked
with - and Sage opens vast possibilities. It really should get more
publicity.

It seems like a good idea to learn a bit more about the workings of
LyX. Perhaps you can point me to a good source of information about,
e.g., the format and purpose of the various entries in the lyx options
file? Is it dangerous to edit it by hand? (there's a warning not to do
so) Could I e.g. just clear it and build it anew from inside LyX?

Thanks again, Thomas, you have been most helpful.

Hi Dirk,

    one improvement I can suggest right away: just eliminate that
one-step process. If its performance gain is indeed minimal, I see no
reason to keep it. I for one was confused as to its purpose.

I agree the annotations about it were confusing ... when I get a
chance to update, I will change this.

    The reason the PDF did not open automatically was because I used
the File >> Export menu, in stead of the View menu. When I choose View
>> etc., the PDF does open automatically. I'm a bit puzzled why the
new format 'PDF (pdflatex + sagetex)' doesn't show up under the
toolbar button 'View other formats'. I always used this toolbar in
stead of the View menu, and I just didn't think of it (I mean: the
menu).

Never noticed that before ... I've filed it as a bug:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8550

    Of course you can post our exchange to the lyx-forum. I think the
combination of LyX - hands down the best text processor I ever worked
with - and Sage opens vast possibilities. It really should get more
publicity.

In the past I have made extensive use of Mathematica, whose "notebook"
documents provide a tightly integrated literate programming
environment. However, since my main interest in literate programming
has been for reproducible research, this platform had some severe
limitations (openness, availability to everyone, sophisticated
document features for paper-writing, and extensibility of the
underlying computation system). I am currently using LyX and Sage for
my Ph.D. thesis, and feel like I've finally found the right set of
tools (though of course there's always more to do).

    It seems like a good idea to learn a bit more about the workings
of LyX. Perhaps you can point me to a good source of information
about, e.g., the format and purpose of the various entries in the lyx
options file? Is it dangerous to edit it by hand? (there's a warning
not to do so) Could I e.g. just clear it and build it anew from inside
LyX?

I never found a good guide to all of this, though just now I came
across this page that might be a good place to start:
http://www.oak-tree.us/2010/07/13/custom-lyx-modules/ . There's some
information in the Customization manual (Section 5: Installing New
Document Classes, Layouts, and Templates), but not enough to explain
the whole module system. I started from a version of this module
already built by Murat (you can see our discussion here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg91798.html ),
so I gradually just figured out how to tweak things to get them to
work.

Everything that we added to the LyX preferences file for purposes of
this module can be changed from within LyX under Tools >> Preferences.
If you go there, you'll see the changes we made already appear in the
GUI.

    Thanks again, Thomas, you have been most helpful.

My pleasure --- thanks for trying it out!