On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 18:19:50 +0100
Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:

> 2013/3/7 Greg Carey <gregory.ca...@colorado.edu>:
> > Sorry,  Jürgen. I mistyped in the original post.
> >  The actual command is Ids Data set|(
> > Here is the command from the source:
> > \index{Data set|(}\index{Data frame|see \{Data set\}}
> >
> > It still does not work.
>
> Could you post a small example file?
>
> Jürgen

Yes,

Greg, I'm not fully understanding what you currently get and what you
want, so an minimal case example LyX file and its resulting PDF would be
excellent.

Meanwhile, I once solved what sounds like the opposite problem, here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/makeindex.htm

This article might give you some ideas on how to solve *your* problem.

SteveT