In the default format for marginal notes, for the standard article class, the
note appears to have the same text size, line spacing, and justified format of
the body text. This seems odd to me. I would expect and prefer a standard
marginal note to have a smaller text size, smaller line spacing, and be ragged
right (to eliminate the huge gaps between words that justified text has in very
narrow spaces), as in the marginal notes of Bringhurst's The Elements of
Typographical Style, which is often thought of as the typographer's bible.

Is there a global way to alter the default format for marginal notes, by
inserting commands into the preamble? Failing that, is there a one-by-one way
to get the format I prefer?

Bruce