On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Gwen Barnes <gwen.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have you tried New > New from Template and either agutex.lyx or
>> agu_article.lyx ? If I remember correctly, I have had trouble exporting
>> those when testing, but I have no familiarity with AGU.
>

> Scott, thanks. I found those files with a bit of looking.

Why after looking? They weren't included in LyX for you? If not, this
might explain the layout error you have below.

> agu_article.lyx opens fine in LyX and uses the AGU article (SGML) document
> class.  But that seems to produce an xhtml file that I don't know what to do
> with.  I just want a pdf like normal.

What operating system are you on? Which LyX version? Do you get a
warning when opening that template? I am on Ubuntu 13.04 and had to
install docbook and sgmltools-lite. After that, LyX tries to make a
PDF for me.

However, I don't think AGU requires docbook. Does it? If not, it
probably shouldn't be in the template. You should probably forget
about this one. I think the next one is the one you want.

> agutex.lyx gives an error when trying to open it that there is not an
> appropriate layout file for the AGUTeX class. What I need (I think), and
> can't find, is a layout file for the AGUTeX class. FWIW, I have compiled the
> default AGUTeX template using the AGUTeX class using latex on the command
> line, so everything on the latex end should be ok.  It's just the LyX layout
> file that's missing, I think.  Is there an AGUTeX layout file somewhere that
> I haven't found?
>
> If not, (unfortunately?) as far as I can tell, the AGUTeX class is not based
> on anything else, like latex's article.  I think they must have built it
> from the ground up.  And if I read the LyX documentation right, that means
> the layout file is going to be a bit more tricky.    If there is currently
> no layout file, could someone suggest a good one that I could copy to try to
> tweak for AGUTeX to try to get it working?

This is strange. This layout file should be included by LyX. Your
answers above to which LyX version you are using could lead to clues.
Before you try anything can you go to Tools > Reconfigure ? Does that
complete successfully?

Attached is the layout file for agutex, but this should be included
with LyX. If you still get the layout error, you can copy it to your
user layout directory and then run Tools > Reconfigure. Restart and
see if you still get the error.

agutex.lyx compiles to PDF fine for me. Here is the output:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70cvhn1dh4t9eyv/agutex.pdf

Best,

Scott