On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM, David L. Johnson <d...@lehigh.edu> wrote:

> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Re: Question: Using LyX as
> your daily word processor  Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:22:19 -0400  From: David
> L. Johnson <david.john...@lehigh.edu> <david.john...@lehigh.edu>  To: Wolfgang
> Keller <felip...@gmx.net> <felip...@gmx.net>
>
> I just checked, and found a copy of an old webpage I used to maintain
> for it.  (I also used to provide binaries that had Motif statically
> linked for those who did not have Motif -- LyX/LyriX was linux/unix only
> at one time, and used Motif widgets).  It was originally called "LyriX",
> but Matthais got a letter from a lawyer about that, so he changed the name.
>
> The date I have on that old webpage is February, 1999.  But, looking at
> that file, by that time things were pretty far along.  Several
> developers were working on it, and it was far more advanced than the
> first versions.  So, the original versions must have been in the
> mid-'90s, believe it or not.
>
> And I have been using it for all of my writing since the first versions.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
> little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
>               --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Interesting stories. Here is the history wiki page (which is in need of an
update from you LyX veterans before you lose your memory!):
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/History

Also note that Wikipedia's LyX page [1] lists the following:
    LyX 0.7.0 was released on October 24, 1995.

Scott

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LyX