On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:46:20 +0200
Wolfgang Keller <felip...@gmx.net> wrote:

> > LyX strives to offer an authoring environment that requires no (or
> > truly minimal) knowledge of LaTeX.
>
> And this feature is pretty foolproof.
>
> As proven by this fool. >;->
>
> > In practice, however, rudimentary LaTeX knowledge is always required
> > when working with LyX,
>
> You can learn all that from the manuals while authoring your first
> document with LyX. I did it exactly that way myself.

And when you do it that way, my strong suggestion is that when, while
writing, you find need for a new environment, you spend minimal time
creating that environment (maybe a Copystyle plus margin change plus a
semi-distinctive font on both LyX environment and PDF output), and
then, when you have several consecutive hours to do nothing but LaTeX,
tweak your environments to be how you want them to be.

My experience tells me it's better to wear one hat at a time: Either
you're a writer or a LaTeX (wannabe) expert, and when you wear one of
these hats you should be able to devote several consecutive hours to
it, because they don't mix well.

HTH,

SteveT