Ok, I know I should've first read the whole AMSmath documentation before asking
this but... this is faster...

Say I have a bunch of equations within a labeled subequations environment.
Something like (in LaTeX):

\begin{subequations}
\label{eq:eq1}
\begin{equation}
<Some math>
\end{equation}
<Some text>
\begin{align}
<Some math> \\
<Some math> \\
<Some math>
\end{align}
\end{subequations}
... \ref{eq:eq1} ...

The equations are all labeled with the same number and with the roman
subnumbers from a through d.
As long as I'm aware, I can only \ref{} the main label.  I can not make an
automatic reference to a particular subequation unless I label it as well.
If I don't do it, I have to write the roman subnumber manually.  However, if I
later on insert another equation within the subequations, I'll have to scan the
whole document and fix the subnumbers in all cross references...

Does anyone know of a way to automatize this process?  Without having to label
individual eqs, I mean.  Perhaps there's a package in CTAN that I don't know
of.  And does LyX support it?

Thanks.
--
Rudi Gaelzer