On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 10:46:05 +0100
Anthony Campbell <a...@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> As far as I can see this makes marginal notes unusuable for the book
> class. Unless I'm wrong, perhaps it should be documented in the help
> files?

Anthony,

If you're using the book class, by default you are assumed to have
chapters.

If two-sided page layout is selected, a Chapter environment will
automatically start on a right hand (odd numbered) page, inserting a
blank page where necessary. So starting the text body with a chapter
heading will solve the problem.

Is there any special reason why you are not using the Title, Author,
etc., environments for the title page?

Personally, I prefer to use the book(KOMA-script) class (a lot more
options, but defaults work well) or memoir class (an infinite number of
options, a lot of them different from anything else in LaTeX, and an
excellent manual, but a very steep learning curve), but the book class
should work for what you're doing. Attached is a sample file to show
what can be done.

Les

--
L. R. Denham