On 01/16/14, 06:14 , rajender saini wrote:
> I got your reference from the gmail lyx posting. Can you help me
> with the steps include plant uml file into lyx file and
> automatically get it converted into image when we include it into
> the lyx master file ?

Sure.

I will CC it to the LyX list to have it there for reference.

I assume you have downloaded plantuml.

1) Define a new File Format, named "plantuml":

Vector graphics format: I ticked it - what are actually the
implications of this field?
Short name: "plantuml"
Extension:  "plantuml"
So all files with the extension .plantuml will be considered as
plantuml source code files files!

Editor: I choose Emacs, but set any text editor you want.

In the preferences files, this corresponds to the following line in
the formats section:

\format "plantuml" "plantuml" "plantuml" "" "" "open -n -a Emacs
- --args --name LyX --title LyX --no-desktop" "vector"

Now we have to define the converters, i.e. how to convert the plantuml
file into a format usable by the converter chain in LyX. This now
depends on you installed converters, but I got the best results when
using svg as the *only* output format of plantuml, and then use the
standard converter tools of LyX to convert these into the required
formats.

The conversion of svg (a vector format) to eps, PDF and PNG
is done by rsvg, which is detected and configured automatically by
LyX. If you don't have it installed, install it and re-configure :LyX
and it should be detected.

Coming back to plantuml: The converter to be defined converts the
.plantuml to a graphics format .svg (vector):

- From format: "plantuml"
To format:  "SVG
Converter: /Users/rainerkrug/bin/plantuml $$i -ofile $$o -tsvg

The preference file line is:

\converter "plantuml" "svg" "/Users/rainerkrug/bin/plantuml $$i -ofile
$$o -tsvg" ""

The last step: What is the file /Users/rainerkrug/bin/plantuml? It is
*not* the .jar file but the following:

### BEGIN FILE ##############################
#!/bin/sh
# PlantUML Launcher
#
# This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This script distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY
# or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public
# License for more details.
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
# License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301,
# USA.
#
# Copyright (C) 2010 Ilya Paramonov <ivparamo...@gmail.com>

if [ -n "${JAVA_HOME}" ] && [ -x "${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java" ] ; then
    JAVA="${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java"
elif [ -x /usr/bin/java ] ; then
    JAVA=/usr/bin/java
else
    echo Cannot find JVM
    exit 1
fi

$JAVA -jar ~/jar/plantuml.jar -graphvizdot "/usr/local/bin/dot" ${@}
### END FILE ##############################

It is from https://gist.github.com/eelcocramer/4502562 and it simply makes
calling plantuml much easier.

Make sure tht this ~/bin/plantuml is executable!

Now, in LyX, you simply have to add a .plantuml file as a picture, and
you should be able to edit it via right-mouse-click and it should be
converted into all the needed formats.

Now This worked for me under Mac (I am using it right now) and Linux
(used it before). There might be differences under Windows, but I
would suggest to ask on the mailing list if you don't get it to work,
so that therte is a reference to this.

Hope this helps,

Rainer

> -- Raj Ph:+17737706099