Scott Kostyshak <skostysh <at> lyx.org> writes:

> Hi Greg,
>
> I'm putting this back on the list because I have no knowledge of
> Windows. However, this seems like the same problem as
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users <at> lists.lyx.org/msg98064.html
> who is also using Windows 8.
> I'm wondering if this is an issue specific to users on Windows 8.
>
> Using Sumatra PDF worked for that user.
>
> What program is used to view DVI?
>
> What is the name of your Adobe Reader executable? If you're not sure
> how to find this out, let us know and we can explain.
>
> Best,
>
> Scott
>
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Greg Love <gregory.ray.love <at>
gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, this is a computer running Windows 8.1.  I wonder if this is part of
> > the problem.  My work computer runs Windows 7 and has no problem.
> >
> > There is something called Reader (I think this is a Microsoft product) and
> > Adobe Touch.  BTW, I don't have trouble viewing as dvi format.
> >

> > Greg
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Scott Kostyshak <skostysh <at> lyx.org>
wrote:

> >> Hi Greg,
> >>
> >> This sounds like a frustrating issue. I have heard of users having
> >> good success with Sumatra PDF reader. You could give that a try.
> >> Whether you do or not, try going to Tools > Reconfigure. Restart LyX
> >> and see if you have the same problem.
> >>
> >> What PDF readers do you have installed? What is the name of their
> >> executable files?
> >>
> >> Scott

I had the same problem all of a suddent (machine running Windows 8.1), and
solved it as follows:
1. Go to Tools>Preferences>File Handling>File Formats
2. select the pdf compiler you use from the dropdown list at the top - in my
case I have "PDF (pdflatex)"
3. from the dropdown next to "Viewer" select "Custom", and in the empty box
to the right enter the whole path to the application you want to use,
including the .exe file.
4. save, exit LyX and restart it, hopefully it should now work.

If you also add the path to the application (without the .exe file, only the
directory) in the "PATH prefix" field under Tools>Preferences>Path" you
should now see only the name of the .exe file in the box mentioned in point
3 above after the LyX restart.

Hope it works!
Paola