With Org-mode you can enter special symbols, subscripts and superscripts, LaTeX fragments and you can preview the LaTeX fragments directly in emacs: http://orgmode.org/manual/Embedded-LaTeX.html#Embedded-LaTeX

Special symbols:  \alpha, \beta and \gama

Super/subscripts: The mass of the sun is M_sun = 1.989 x 10^30 kg

Math: Let $a^2=b$

Org-mode is quick to learn for simple things, yet has an amazing depth. And, as I mentioned before, it does it all in plain text. It exports to HTML, LibreOffice, LaTeX and lots of other things.

Highly recommended (but you do have to use emacs).

Cheers,
Alan