I don't know what 1 is used for. I also don't know what 2 was originally
meant for, but one use case in which I can see it being useful is when
working on a document with children.
Currently (version 2.0.6) when you close a parent document all of it's
children are automatically closed as well, although it may be more
convenient to work on some of the child documents without changing anything
in the parent document (thus you wouldn't want it to "waste" tab space).
This is different (I hope) from opening the child on it's own, because when
the parent is open you can see all references macros etc. defined in the
parent or in it's other children.

I have recently been working on a project in which there was a parent
document which only contained the framework of a book and included a macros
file and the other content as children, and most of the time I only worked
on one or more of it's children. Having it open but not showing could have
been useful in that case.