On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Jacob Bishop <bishop.ja...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Steve Burnham <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for getting back to me, much more information and more helpful
>> than I expected.
>>

> Hi Steve,
>
> If you don't mind, I'd like to keep this discussion on the list. This is
> because our discussion might eventually help someone with similar issues. I
> spent over a year using the mailing list archives to find solutions to
> problems I encountered before actually composing a message myself or
> subscribing to the list.
>

>> I have the thesis office minimal examples which unfortunately doesn’t
>> compile.  I’m attaching the zipped file of the data that I can get from the
>> office.  I started trying to modify the chap2.tex file to compile.  I added
>> in the document class declaration, \begin{document}, and some text for the
>> headings.  I get two errors, that I need to specify a style guild for which
>> I cannot locate information on that error online.  The other is that it
>> cannot find \begin{document} which is weird because it is there.  I’m
>> guessing whatever the document guild error is has something to do with it
>> since that is the first error listed.  If you have time you can take a look
>> at the file and maybe help me figure out what is wrong.
>>

> After reverting your changes, I was able to get the example to compile (I
> didn't try to deal with the references, but we can do that later). To
> explain how, I think I should cover how the example is intended to work.
> There are several ways to write a LaTeX document. One is to write it all
> into a single document...a single file ending in *.tex An alternative
> method is to use a "parent" file with several "children" files. The
> children documents don't actually compile themselves. That's why when you
> try to compile "chap2.tex" it doesn't work. It doesn't have everything it
> needs to be a standalone .tex document. Child documents are intended only
> to be "included" in the main (parent) document. In the archive you sent,
> the parent file is called "MyThesis.tex" and each chapter and appendix has
> its own file. These can be seen in the main document. They are included
> with the \include{} statement. Incidentally, it is also possible to use
> child documents with LyX in the same way, but I think that is a discussion
> for another day.
>
> After getting a successful compile using "pdflatex MyThesis.tex" at the
> command line, I decided to roll the "included" files right into the main
> document. That seems simpler to me in a way. See attached. That completes
> step 2!
>
> I also got ambitious and started on the conversion. The steps for that
> basically involved (a) creating a simple .layout file, (b) copying most of
> what appears in MyThesis.tex ( the part before \begin{document} ) into the
> preamble of LyX (c) re-creating the document within LyX. For (a), your
> [...]

OK, so overall success.  I was able to modify the files myself and get them
to compile in LaTeX.  I found the whole parent/child document thing a
little confusing at first.  Not the concept so much but just syntax and how
they are structured.  Should anybody else be looking for help in the future
I found the following video where you can actually see somebody create a
parent/child document and it cleared it up for me (
https://www.sharelatex.com/blog/latex-guides/beginners-tutorial/longer-documents-in-latex.html#.U02Qt-ZdVIY).
 So now when I open up LyX I can go File>Import>LaTeX(plain) and import
MyThesis.tex and it opens and compiles just fine in LyX.  I think now my
questions are:

1.  What is the difference between MyThesis.lyx and MyThesisR3.lyx.  From
what I can tell R3 has the ERT cleaned up in the preamble as well as notes
signifying the different heading levels

2.  From what I can gather it is the .layout file that will get rid of the
ERT in the LyX file.  I tried to follow an example thesis .layout file from
the LyX site (see here: http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/UCThesis) but when I
modify the file I can no longer get anything to compile.  (See attached
.layout file to see what I did.)

3.  I also cannot figure out where both LyX and LaTeX are getting the front
matter pages like the title page, copyright page, and abstract.  All I can
find is in the preamble are entries like \titlepage, \copyrightpage

-Steve