Whenever you have got an error with the Rnw/knitr module, be sure to
look at View->Messages. The error message in the dialog box does not
tell you much about what was really going on, and the real error
message is in the Messages pane.

To LyX developers: I think it will be much more helpful if LyX can
catch the stderr output when R fails and display the error message in
the dialog. The default error message "An error occurred while
running" is not informative.

Regards,
Yihui
--