On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 11:13:18AM -0400, Bert Lloyd wrote:

> Thanks again for your advice.
>
> I am having a few issues with installation:
>
> In step 4 of the installation instructions ("In the "Select Packages"
> view...") I did not initially see lyx and related packages. After
> clicking "View" a few times until "Not Installed" was displayed, the
> relevant packages were displayed (lyx, lyxdict, etc, although not
> LyXwin as stated in step 4).
>
> When installing, I then got popup messages from Cygwin setup "Can't
> open (null) for reading: No such file" while setup was installing
> cygspawn-1.0.0-2-src, dtltools-0.6.2-src, dvipost-1.1-4-src,
> latex2rtf-1.9.17-2.src, lyxsupport-2.0-src.
>
> Finally, lyx still finds my windows installation rather than the new
> cygwin version:
> $ lyx -version
> LyX 2.0.8 (2014-04-14)
> Built on Apr 15 2014, 23:03:32
> CMake Build
>

> I'm assuming I need to edit the cygwin PATH variable, since this still
> includes
> /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/LyX 2.0/bin
> however, I can't find the right directory in cygwin, i.e.
> /usr/local/share/lyx/ does not exist, nor can I find lyx.exe,
> lyxwin.exe, or any lyx directory in my cygwin installation. I'm not
> sure that I've looked everywhere, but I have looked everywhere I can
> think of, including
> C:\cygwin64\bin
> C:\cygwin64\etc
> C:\cygwin64\lib
> C:\cygwin64\usr
> C:\cygwin64\usr\local
> C:\cygwin64\usr\share
>
> which leads me to suspect my installation was not successful after all.
>
> Any suggestions?

>From what you write above, I suspect that you installed the 64 bit version
of Cygwin, while that package was built for the 32 bit version.
If you don't have a specific need for the 64 bit version, you can try
installing the 32 bit version. I am sorry but I don't have cygwin64
and can't build a 64 bit version of the package ATM, because I still
use an old 32 bit laptop for working in Windows.

--
Enrico