On 05/27/2014 12:27 PM, jezZiFeR wrote:
Am 27.05.2014 um 17:41 schrieb Stephan Witt <st.w...@gmx.net>:
Am 27.05.2014 um 17:13 schrieb jezZiFeR <jezzi...@gmail.com>:

Hello,

I do not know since when this happens, but in the moment LyX always tells me,
that I would have to install X11 to open »gs«. Why does it ask that?
I use LyX 2.0.7.1 on OSX 10.8.5. It might be, that this only happens when I
open older documents, I am not sure up to now. Does anybody have an idea about
that?
Hello Jezz,

"gs" is the program GhostScript and it needs an X11-display to present the
contents.
Apple isn't providing X11 out-of-the-box anymore since Mountain Lion (10.8.X).
Normally LyX is producing PDF documents directly and there is no need to start
"gs".

The question is: why is "gs" used by LyX? And why doesn't it happen for all
documents?
Perhaps you have some special image in use?
I have made a minimal example and add it here. The message appears already when
opening the file.

Jezz, do you have instant preview enabled for math? If so, that is probably the reason: We use GhostScript for some of the instant preview conversions. (Stephan, this is in legacy_lyxpreview2ppm.py, which we only use if some other route fails. I can't remember which, though.)

Richard