I "cloned," to use the terminology of the enumitem package documentation section 7, a new itemize list and put it in the LaTeX preamble of my Lyx file:

\newlist{emptydisplay}{itemize}{1}
\setlist[emptydisplay]{label={}, itemindent=1em, align=left, labelsep=!}

Now I can use this new itemize list by putting, e.g., the following in an ERT box:

\begin{emptydisplay}
\item The inventor of bifocals wrote an autobiography
\item The first post-master general of the US wrote an autobiography
\end{emptydisplay}

Is there a way of making this new list a Lyx style, so I can apply it just as I apply Quote, Enumerate-Resume, etc.? I suspect this might involve modifying a layout file, or, even the enumitem module, is that right? And if so, are there instructions somewhere for doing this?

Many thanks!
Sanford