Hello!

Publications in physics mostly use a two-column format and I am recently
trying to adopt this style for my private (equation-heavy) summaries as
well. However, I found that for my workflow in two-column documents fast
feedback about the layout of equations, especially their width with respect
to column width, is essential.

In TeXStudio there is the preview feature, which on the fly while editing
the equation provides a rendering, as it will appear in the document, but
obviously TeXStudio lacks LyX's convenience in editing the equation.
However, LyX's instant-preview feature (which by default is disabled for
math) requires interrupting editing the equation, moving the cursor
outside. Also, when the equation is too wide for the column, it will be cut
off in the preview rather than showing the full misformatted equation
(though this is actually positive for unnumbered equations).

So I was wondering if I am missing a feature. Is there some on-the-fly
preview of equations possible in LyX, while editing the equation? Currently
my best guess is document preview with Ctrl+R (pdflatex), but this is still
rather slow.

regards, Klaus