On 2014-10-14, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable --]

>>  I must have done something wrong with the encoding of my bib file; I am
>> getting instead of mutated vowels a combination of characters both in the
>> lyx file as well as in the pdf output (see attached). I am using Jabref as
>> the reference manager and Kubuntu.
>> Is this a matter of the setting in the jabref, and which one, or of the
>> setting in lyx, and which one?

> It looks line you use utf8 encoding for the bib file. I suggest you use
> latin9 or whatever your document uses, instead (traditional bibtex and
> bibtex8 cannot deal with utf8 encoding properly, anyway).

I suggest to use ASCII with LICR (LaTeX internal character representation)
macros like {G{\"u}nter Milde}. This has the advantage, that you can use the
bib-file with documents in different encodings.

Maybe Jabref supports exporting the bib-file in ASCII with LICRs.
(BTW: LyX does support ASCII for the LaTeX export).

Günter