Bluetooth has device profiles that let the bluetooth gadget tell the phone
what kind of device it is so that the phone's OS knows what to do with it.

Though Android will correctly recognize and use a HID-profile keyboard,
your RN-42 is most likely using the SPP profile to appear as a serial port.

There's at least two ways to go about what you're trying to accomplish. One
would be to write an Android IME app that reads characters off a serial
port and uses that as keyboard input. The other would be to build/reprogram
a bluetooth serial module so that it uses the HID profile instead of SPP.