  From: Kurt McCullum
  To: Model 100 Discussion
  Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 2:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [M100] Adapter Board

  Thanks for all the information. The list is once again a wealth of knowledge.
I'll look into the other boards.

  Kurt

  On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:18 AM, Brian White <bw.al...@gmail.com> wrote:

  A 27C256 is problematical in the option rom socket because you can't
reprogram it once you solder it. Or at least it would be pretty hard to squeeze
the couple extra components to handle the Vpp pin so that it is tied to Vcc (or
gdn or no-connect, I forget what it needs right now, other than that it should
*not* be connected to any of the socket legs) during normal run-time operation,
but not tied to Vcc and instead *is* routed to an edge contact for programming.
The 28C256 board can do it because the chip is SOIC package and there is
physically room for the parts.
  There is no such thing as a SOIC 27C256, or at least not an erasable one.
Burning and soldering a chip as a one-way trip is not really hobbyist friendly.
You risk wasting $6 chips and having to de-solder, clean, and resolder chips on
the board for every mistake or testing another rom.
  It's different if you're producing 100 copies of the same thing to sell. You
don't care about re-writing then. But in that case you have the resources to
just whip up your own new board any time you want. A few different similar
board designs are public that you can download and copy, and even the cad
software is free (kicad). Edit and upload to osh park and order as set for $6.
  But I suggest just use the SOIC v2.0 28C256 board. And get the option rom
programming adapter v2 at the same time. And some singlenrow machined round pin
headers for the programming adapter.
  Or use the m100 board (Stephen's, not FigTroniX) and use the option rom
feature on that. It goes in the main rom socket inside, not in the option rom
socket, and it can provide both a main and option rom in one uv-erasable 28 pin
dip 27C512.