So I tried a clever trick and it didn't work.

(This is NOT a bug report about any of the named programs, as it's a
weird edge case.)

So UNIX (and therefore Linux) has these things called "named
pipes". They're like files, except that they're strictly buffers --
you write something to one and it's only there until it's read.

galvatron:~$ mkfifo foo
galvatron:~$ date > foo &
[1] 395
galvatron:~$ date
Mon Jan  9 13:52:21 MST 2017
galvatron:~$ cat foo
Mon Jan  9 13:52:23 MST 2017
[1]+  Done                    date >foo
galvatron:~$

So, interestingly, note that the date written to the named pipe "foo"
wasn't written until it was read!

Just as an experiment, I created ~/root/DATE.DO as a named pipe and
redirected date(1) into it... Then tried to read it from tsdos via the
laddiealpha PDD server.

The result: M100 visits Cold Start City.

Not really surprising, something probably got confused by the fact
that the named pipe is reported as a 0-length file.

Would be an easy way to sync the M100's time to a laddiealpha server,
but it's not to be.

Willard
--
Willard Goosey  goo...@sdc.org