That is correct, but that's what a user can do interactively from the
keyboard, with no pre-existing basic program in basic.

For his problem, he wants a running basic program to read and write a .ba
file. How could you have a basic program that loads a .ba file, without
overwriting it's own self and immediately crashing to the ground? I don't
think there is any such thing as "load file.ba, offsetting all line numbers
+5000 along the way", then later "save lines 5000-10,000 to foo.ba,
offsetting all line numbers -5000 along the way"

That said... teeny is an assemby program, which can manipulate .ba files.
But teeny itself is created from a .ba program...so, it *seems* it really
only depends just how Rube Goldberg you want to get, and just how much ram
you are willing to spend on embedding a data-encoded assembly program into
the basic program, just so it can be unpacked, used, and removed. ;)