As far as REX's convenient memory bank backup mechanism, yes having what
you mentioned gets you somewhat close due to the easy nature of
transferring files to/from the NADSBox.   But for REX's multi option-rom
capability, the only thing that gets you there is a multi-ROM bank which
never seems to be as convenient due to its physicality outside the machine.

Nope, there's nothing that quite matches a REX for its amazing option ROM
provisioning and switching capability.

Hmm, I wonder how I might be able to build an adapter board for one of my
M100 molex-style REX units and retrofit it to an NEC...