Here's where I got to:

The flaw in my methodology was testing TELCOM with nothing plugged in (on the
assumption that if it isn't paying attention to hardware flow control lines for
flow control purposes, it shouldn't be paying attention to them at all).  When
I plugged it in to the cable to my PC which I was using for talking to Mcomm,
TELCOM works fine and doesn't lock up.

I also noticed that when nothing is plugged in, TELCOM only actually freezes
after you type one or more characters.  It lets you quit with F8 as long as you
don't send anything.

The serial cable for this particular TNC (basically, a radio modem) has only 3
wires, because it goes to a 2.5mm TRS audio-style plug which plugs into a
handheld radio transceiver (Kenwood TH-D7A, if anybody is curious).  The
handheld radio has a built-in TNC and the cable only carries the TD, RD, and SG
RS-232 signals.  The other end of the cable has a DB-9 female plug and is wired
DCE to plug into a PC.

Fortunately, the DB-9 plug comes apart, so I didn't spend a lot of time
experimenting with which signals it needed, I just jumpered RTS to CTS and DTR
to DSR, and now the T200 is perfectly happy to talk to it.  Maybe it only
needed DSR, or maybe it only needed CTS, but once I had the soldering iron out
I was more interested in getting it working than fiddling around, sorry.

        jim