Success! I had to abandon all the poking, initialization, and string work and
finally go back to the ROM initialization routine.

10 POKE 63911,10:EXEC 62394:EXEC 64448 Will load the LINE code. Adding this
line to a program that requires LINE makes the process automatic.
10 POKE 63911,11:EXEC 62394:EXEC 64448 Will run the XFER utility which allows
bank to bank transfers

Using this method I can use the 11k of extra space in ROM to pack a few
utilities. Not sure what those will be at this point but it looks like I
finally have a clean solution. Once done I'll update a new SARDOS rom for the
NEC.

Kurt