Digging up an old thread: Hi! (Also hoping this doesn't come through
twice; if it does, apologies for the 2nd copy.)

Sorry for not responding for a while, seems I misconfigured procmail and
all the m100 list messages got redirected to some obscure mailfolder...
so hency my reply half a year later. Ah well, this turned out to be a
long-term project after all.

After some feedback from the list last time I posted, I got kinda
demotivated - seems the audience here isn't that interested in the
keychain-size M100 I had in mind... perhaps I could scale things up, add
ports, ...? and I kinda lost sight of what I wanted to do. Meanwhile,
some other things also happened in life, caused me to drop the project.
When I got my time back, other interesting stuff got a higher priority,
and before you know, a year passes.

I recently found the PCB of this project back in a drawer. I have a nice
3d-printer on order, so one of the things I worried about (the mechanics
of a tiny DIY physical keyboard) will be something I can iterate on way
faster that way. I also started working on an emulator for the Model 100
- I know about VirtualT and others, but I haven't found an emulator that
was easy to strip down to run on a microcontroller, and I don't mind
building something from scratch; as coding goes, emulators are pretty
fun to do. At the moment, it still runs on a PC and it already boots the
ROM - I can't check anything else as I haven't hooked up a keyboard yet.

I also decided I would keep on doing what I originally had in mind - a
tiny keychain-sized but otherwise fully functional Model 100. I am sure
you guys would like to see all sorts of bells and whistles and other
sizes, but to be real - I'm doing this as a hobby next to a full-time
job and I'm not going to be in any state to mass-produce this thing any
time soon. By creating what I want and then releasing the schematics,
sources and drawings under an open-source license, hopefully others can
customize that and build whatever they want.

Plan is perhaps to change chips - the old design had an STM32, for
ultra-low power so the M100 would work forever on a rechargable coin
cell, but I work for Espressif and we make some really nice WiFi chips
that are powerful enough to easily emulate a M100. With some hackery I
may be able to combine WiFi with the M100 OS in such a way that
documents on the tiny M100 will automatically get synced with a server.
That way, it would actually be usable - you have a small keyboard to
type out whatever thoughts you have, or work on a small BASIC program on
the go, and when you come home, the files will already be accessible on
your laptop. It could also work as a modem, allowing you to Telnet into
all the BBSses, MOOs etc that are out there. This solution will be a tad
more power-intensive, but with a bit of luck I'll still get more
run-time out of a tiny LiIon than the original M100.

Cheers,
Jeroen