So it turns out the left side catch is missing.  There seem to be two holes
where the catch was mounted, does it sound rational to perhaps tie the metal
bar down with a little piece of wire through those, as a kind of substitute
catch?

I'm lucky that this is purely aesthetic.  The space bar actually works really
well.