A call to TPDD-emulator authors. I understand these are currently Ken, John & Kurt. Please correct me if there are any more.

CP/M filenames are 8.3 format and for REXCPM we import & export files from the net using an emulated-TPDD. (No provision is made to use a real TPDD).  Currently emulated-TPDD wont accept 8.3 format, so the procedure is renaming files down to 6.2, then importing, then once in REXCPM renaming back to 8.3 format - quite a pain. Once in REXCPM, we have RAM-disk, we don't use TPDD as a disk, merely to access the net via another device.

So authors, can we use this time before REXCPM is "in the shops" to implement 8.3? If there needs to some flag to indicate 8.3, then that's fine by me. This is only intended to be used by REXCPM, so we're in full control of TPDD routines on both sides. In fact we could spin our own, faster protocol, but that can wait until after REXCPM's initial release. I'd be quite content to be able to do just 8.3 for initial release.

Philip