On 3/13/20 7:56 PM, James Zeun wrote:
You know what, it's very tempting as I find soldering very cathartic. But the cable is ordered now.

I'm gutted the DVI writes floppys in a different format to the TPDD. Curse you Tandy!

It's really the TPDD that is weird. It's not just a different data layout, it's a different magnetic signal. The TPDD drive really was just meant for the knitting machines first, which didn't need to try to adhere to any kind of interoperability standard beyond the physical media. But the hardware was cheap and the connection was ttl serial, and the protocol was easy, and so I guess it was irresistable to try to doll it up into a storage device for the M100's because anything was better than the cassettes.

But DVI is, not standard, but at least almost standard, or more standard. At least normal drives and drive controllers (old ones anyway) can at least read the tracks in the normal way without Kryoflux.

On Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm Brian K. White, <b.kenyo...@gmail.com <mailto:b.kenyo...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 3/13/20 5:15 AM, James Zeun wrote:
     > Well of course I knew I could buy a £4 cable and save myself half an
     > hour soldering 40 wires, well 80! What do you take me for some
    sort of
     > idiot? *Cough* :-P
     >
     > There's always someone with a bright idea. Well I'm going to make
    coffee
     > and try to not feel too disappointed about all that soldering I'm
     > missing out on, now I have a 30cm extension cable ordered.
     >
     > *Goes off grumbling to himself*
     >
     > Thanks Brian! ;-)

    Someone else said splice you didn't, but in this same conversation,
    so I
    just addressed it all in one post.

    Are you *sure* you don't want to perform 80 solder and heat-shrink
    splices? It can be very zen. :)

-- bkw

http://tandy.wiki/Disk/Video_Interface:_Cable#Cable_supporting_models_102_and_200_only

     >     Another form of the same thing is if you put 2 male pin
    headers back
     >     to back, that makes an adapter that can serve as the the
    twisty part
     >     on a cable set that works on all 3 models.
     >
     > http://tandy.wiki/Disk/Video_Interface:_Cable
     >
     >     Or head to head: Mike Stein showed me (well everyone) that if you
     >     just take any standard 40 pin cables and butt two female ends
    face
     >     to face with a "gender changer" pin header, that results in
    the same
     >     twist.
     >
     >     That page above has links to buy all the odd parts for the
    different
     >     ways to do it.
     >
     >     But for a pcb to do the switcheroo, the pcb is nothing more
    than 40
     >     straight lines just to make it easier to solder two plugs back to
     >     back. See the "twist adapter" link in that page.
     >
     >     You don't have to splice anything to make the cable longer.
    Just buy

    <mailto:go4re...@go4retro.com <mailto:go4re...@go4retro.com>>> wrote:

     >         On 3/12/2020 4:17 PM, Mike Stein wrote:
     >>
     >>         Hi Jim,
     >>         I wouldn't call it a newbie mistake ;-) Those 'non-standard'
     >>         40-pin DIP headers have been impossible to find; maybe with
     >>         your resources you can find some somewhere so they can just
     >>         simply be crimped on.
     >
     >         I'm wondering if the switch could be made at the other
    end, with
     >         a small PCB and the respective female header attached to
    it...

-- bkw